Monday, April 9, 2007

A little sarcasm at the end of the day...

Since starting this blog, I have become somewhat addicted to reading other blogs. It sort of has become my down time in the evenings after Jackson goes to bed. A bunch of the blogs that I read have some really good money saving tips that I have enjoyed reading about as we don't really make the big bucks in our household-especially since I'm not working these days. So as I was reading some of them yesterday and today, I was thinking of a few of my own little money saving tips that I could share with my readers...so here goes.
1) Breastfeed! That is if you are a woman and have a baby. If you are a man, I wouldn't suggest trying this method of saving money. In fact, men, you can probably skip most of this post. Anyway, nursing Jackson has definitely saved us money on formula. My sister used to joke that she was going to breastfeed her daughter, Eva, until she was 5 because it was FREE. But don't worry, she was only joking.
2)Have kids! I know that this seems counter-intuitive. "Kids are expensive" you say. Well, we have dramatically cut back on our entertainment budget and our clothing budget since Jackson was born. We don't get to go out much these days, and doing the whole "dinner and a movie" thing is definitely in the past. And I think the last time we did it, Todd's mom actually bought our dinner for us, provided free babysitting, and let us keep the change from dinner with which we paid for our movies and still had a little bit left over-I think we actually made money on the deal! As for the clothing budget, in a previous post I mentioned the mommy body issue. Clothes shopping is seriously not fun after having a child. So I've been doing a lot of looking, but not a whole lot of buying.
3)Here's a little beauty tip: toilet seat covers don't only keep your behind from having to touch a yucky public toilet seat. I learned this little tid-bit from my wonderfully frugal sis. They make great oil blotting papers for your face. I have been plagued with oily skin my whole life and love those face blotting sheets that come in little packets that help remove some of the oil from your face without removing your makeup, but boy are they expensive! Well, next time you're in a public bathroom that has those paper toilet seat covers, take a few extra home (unused, of course!) and cut them into little squares and blot away! Best part about it- FREE!
4)Don't get cable! You will obviously save money by just not having it, but I have found that if you have cable, you will watch HGTV. If you watch HGTV, you will start to realize that your house "needs" MANY improvements both structurally and decoratively. Those cost money! Just nip it in the bud and don't get cable.
I hope these little tips have been very helpful and that you will save lots of money. If they do and you are not sure what to do with all of your extra dough, please keep in mind that we accept all forms of major currency, as well as cute gifts! And if anyone has some helpful tips of their own, please fill us in by leaving a comment!

No comments: