Friday, November 30, 2007

O Christmas Tree!

Last night was the night that I've been waiting for...Christmas tree night!! The actual buying of our tree isn't all that exciting because I'm sort of a snob. We tried to go to a tree farm last year, but they only had pine trees. I NEED my frasier fir. Todd hates this because it's a lot more expensive than all the other trees, but I always tell him it's not my fault. It's how I was raised. Blame my parents. That's the kind of tree we always got, so that's the kind of tree we should keep getting. Makes perfect sense to me. So after our obligatory argument about the tree, he gives in and we go to Bomgaars, our local hardware store where they sell trees. Not quite as much fun as cutting it down ourselves, but a lot less work! Jackson was quite helpful, although it was hard to tell if there was actually a child underneath all that coat. I think I see a face somewhere in there. So this is OUR TREE! Picked it out in record time-only took about 10 minutes. Not too shabby, but you have to make these things quick when it's freaking cold outside!
And here's the after...all decorated! Again, I insist on the big, colored bulbs because that's what we had growing up. None of that matchy matchy thing for me on a Christmas tree. I like pure tacky! But it always looks so pretty and festive, at least I think so. We usually have another argument about how to put the lights up. My dad was super-anal about the lights, so every year when we would get them out, we would have to put the bulbs in the strands and then he would clip EVERY light onto the branches. Those lights weren't going anywhere. Again, that's how I learned it, so that's how I do it. Todd tends to think that is slightly insane and he just wants to throw them on the tree, which I think is really insane. Strangely enough, my sister said she and her husband have this same argument every year about the lights too. Apparently the bulbs don't fall to far from the tree....He He... Get it???
We tried to take a few pictures of ourselves, and this was the best we could do. But I think it's kinda cute. I sure love my Todd.
So, when Jackson woke up this morning, we took him out to look at the tree. He wasn't quite sure what to think of it at first. He sort of just stood there and looked at it for about 10 minutes. He, of course, warmed up to it as the day wore on and I've already lost one ornament. Here's to hoping the tree stays up and the rest of the ornaments make it through another year!

2 comments:

tangerinetree said...

such a pretty tree! We also have annual arguments about trees, lights and how to string the lights on the tree...I think there should be a section of marriage counseling about holiday decorating. It's really big stuff!

pelican1 said...

I LOVE the picture of Jackson seeing the tree for the first time! Such focus...... and probably wondering what kind of nuts we grownups are.

Our trees are little (two of them) about two feet tall, but I put lots of lights around them - that's what John said Debbie did with them, and it looks great. We also strung lights in the living room on a railing - also Debbie's legacy. We did add stockings, which are the only things we bought. All the other things will winter in St. Louis and NEXT year the decorating will be much more intense.