Saturday, February 3, 2007

Mommy Body

I've had the best of intentions over the last couple of days to write again, but a few things kept keeping me from it. First, nothing really exciting has happened that is worthy of taking up the time to write. And since I promised at the end of the last post to try not to bore you to death, I figured you wouldn't really want to hear about the diapers I changed or the spit up that I cleaned up, etc... Second, I've been busy doing the aforementioned tasks and haven't had the opportunity to visit my old friend the computer. We've become very close in the last year. But I have been busy thinking. Lately, my thoughts have centered around one important upcoming event and that is a trip to Florida in March. Yes, it's still a few months away, but when you get excited because the temperature is in the double digits, you really start to look forward to any thoughts of warmness that come your way. Now, as excited as I am about this trip, I have a few fears to cope with also. Jackson is coming with me and even though I have flown with him before, he will be six months old when we fly this time and much more mobile and the flight is 3 times longer than any of the other ones we took. So fear #1: having to sit in a VERY enclosed space for 3 hours with the potential of making a lot of people angry because my child is unhappy. But never fear, dear old Grandma will be with us. My mom is going too, and everyone knows that Grandma's make everything better. So fear #1 is not so bad. Fear #2 however is what haunts me in my sleep. I will be in Florida. Where it is warm. Where I will have to wear less clothing. Possibly even...a bathing suit!! All you women out there understand that fear, but compound it with having had a child within the last six months and it might be enough to put you over the edge. I have a terrible case of mommy body- complete with stretch marks, lumps in places they never used to be, about 15 extra pounds, and BACK FAT!! Add to that the fact that no part of my body has seen the sun in months, and it's not a pretty picture. So needless to say, I have been hit with a major case of body image blues lately. Thankfully, it is still two months away so there is still time to try to lose a few of those extra 15 pounds and maybe lose a little of the back fat. But yesterday as I was thinking about how mean my body is being to me lately, I had a moment of clarity that put it all in perspective for me. Jackson was playing on the floor and making sweet little noises and smiling away and I remembered that my mommy body is what made that sweet child. And if I had the choice between having my pre-pregnancy body back, or having Jackson, I would pick him every time and twice on Tuesdays. He is my blessing and I am so thankful for him. Am I still nervous about putting a bathing suit on ? Definitely. But to be honest, my pre-pregnancy body wasn't all that spectacular either and I probably would still be less than thrilled with the idea of putting a bathing suit on even if I hadn't just birthed a baby. But I am so excited to be able to show off my baby boy to my childhood friends. And being moms themselves, I am sure they will forgive me for my glaring white mommy body.

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Please don't have any fears about mommy body..i've got mommy body and second pregnancy...and i'm not at the cute stage of pregnancy yet either...i'm just chubby and uncomfortable in clothes...and my bod hasn't seen the sun either...we can't wait to see you and Jackson and we've all been or are where you are...our little and not-so-little miracles are totally worth it and i'd take my extra lumps any day too...love you and love the blog :)

Anonymous said...

personally, if you didn't have mommy body i really wouldn't like you that much... even if we are family....especially since we are family. and it seems like everyone we know has it or is about to have it anyway. don't worry, it will go away just in time...to start all over again!

ps: i have at least 6 pounds and an entire abdomen full of stretch mark on you. don't let anyone tell you all the damage is done by the first baby.

Anonymous said...

Well mommy-body, grandma body isn't so hot, either. Is Florida ready for us, even if we aren't ready for it???? We will take comfort in the fact that our true friends will love us even with back fat (AND thigh bumps).

I am so eager to see you both again and am counting the days till we fly away "home."

BTW, I have my official grandma name now....it's easy to say and it just seems to "fit." Lindsay introduced me to it yesterday, and already Eva is on the bandwagon. So, you may officially register me as YaYa.

Love you all,
Mom

Ally said...

From one mommy body to another, I have to tell you that you are GORGEOUS! Your mommy "battle scars" are well worth the blessing of sweet Jackson. And, you forgot to mention a valuable asset for beach life that WILL get you lots of attention... MOMMY BOOBS!

Much love sista....